Aug 30 2016
Note: Updated below for embedded audio of the show
The show runs from 6-8pm (EST) on WXOX 97.1 FM.
If your location happens to fall outside the station antenna’s range, then you can listen in via the internet. Visit this station site page (LINK) to either listen via their embedded audio player or download one of their recommended apps.
And, remember, if you’re playing the custom ARTxFM Mingle drinking game… each time I mispronounce a musician’s name, you take a shot. Double it if I also misidentify an album title, song title, or geographical location. If I forget either Kevin’s or my own name, then it’s three shots. Might be a good idea to be proactive and call in sick to work for Wednesday right now.
And speaking of artists… here’s a tentative playlist of songs you can expect to hear. We’re going to be featuring music from the performers (and, in one instance, the Festival programming chairperson) at this year’s Chicago Jazz Festival. So, if you like what you hear, you should consider heading on up to the festival, which runs from Wednesday night, August 31st through end-of-day Sunday, September 4th… all it performed in and around Millennium Park in downtown Chicago. I’ll be attending this year. You should, too. Follow this LINK to learn more about the festival.
Now, here’s that playlist…
1. Random Charles Mingus tune, which Kevin always begins his show with.
2. Mike Reed’s People Places & Things – “A New Kind of Dance”
3. Anat Cohen – “Putty Boy Strut”
4. Whirlpool – “Remedies”
5. Charles Rumback – “In the New Year”
6. Ghost Train Orchestra – “Alligator Crawl”
7. Joe Lovano & Dave Douglas – “Destination Unknown”
8. Kendall Moore – “Focus”
9. Pharez Whitted – “Unbroken Promise”
10. Charlie Haden’s Liberation Music Orchestra – “Throughout”
11. Christian Scott – “New New Orleans (King Adjuah Stomp)”
12. Orbert Davis – “Blues for the President”
13. Tar Baby – “August”
14. Chris Greene Quartet – “Future Emperor of Evanston”
15. Mike Reed’s People Places & Things – “Fear Not of Man”
And hopefully that’s enough music to fill up the two-hour show duration. Otherwise, I’m gonna have to start singing Pearl Jam tunes to a live studio audience (aka Kevin Coultas, poor poor Kevin Coultas)
And here’s a link to the audio archive of the show, where you can listen after-the-fact to this show and previous guest appearances or, mercifully, those shows where Kevin takes the reins solo.
Here’s an audio embed of my radio appearance in case you weren’t able to tune in live or, perhaps, because you’re a sick puppy and have fallen in love with my voice and need to hear it again at all costs. Note: The audio begins with the very end of the previous music show.
The playlist is posted above.
Enjoy! And seriously, thanks for listening. I really hope you find some cool new music.