May 2 2017
The show runs from 6-8pm (EST) on WXOX 97.1 FM.
If your location happens to fall outside the station antenna’s range, then you can listen in via the internet. Visit this station site page (LINK) to either listen via their embedded audio player or download one of their recommended apps.
And, remember, if you’re playing the custom ARTxFM Mingle drinking game… each time I mispronounce a musician’s name, you take a shot. Double it if I also misidentify an album title, song title, or geographical location. If I forget either Kevin’s or my own name, then it’s three shots. Might be a good idea to be proactive and call in sick to work for Wednesday right now.
And speaking of artists… here’s
a tentative the actual playlist of songs being featured:
1. “Osmotin'” by Charles Mingus (the musician whom Kevin always begins his show with)
2. Anne Quillier 6tet – “Le Retour Des Superheros” (more)
3. Kati Brien’s Dream Band – “Beam” (more)
4. Jeremy Danneman – “Honey Wine” (more)
5. Brot & Sterne – “In a Silent Way” (more)
6. Paulo Gomes – “Norte” (more)
7. Bill Carrothers – “Unseen Rain” (write-up coming soon)
8. Max Andrzejewski’s HÜTTE – “Hunter Gatherer” (more)
9. Collocutor – “Arrival” (more)
10. Hermine Deurloo – “A Long Story Short” (more)
11. Yazz Ahmed – “Jamil Jamal” (more)
12. Gil Evans Paris Workshop – “Lilia” (more)
13. Matt Otto – “Viewed In” (more)
14. John De Lucia – “Sinus Suite A: Chickering” (write-up coming soon)
15. Fanny Gunnarsson – “Theme” (more)
16. Rebecca Martin & Guillermo Klein – “Just as in Spring” (write-up coming soon)
To learn more about any of the music on this list, just follow the More link. It’ll lead you to some music to listen to and a synopsis and a link to where you can discover even more about the music. In some instances, I wrote about the album in my monthly Best of Bandcamp Jazz recommenations column for The Bandcamp Daily. The “more” link will take you to the portal to read them.
And hopefully that’s enough music to fill up the two-hour show duration. Otherwise, I’m gonna have to start singing David Bowie tunes to a live studio audience (aka Kevin Coultas, poor poor Kevin Coultas)
And here’s a link to the audio archive of the show, where you can listen to this show afterwards, as well as previous guest appearances or, mercifully, those shows where Kevin takes the reins solo.
Here’s an audio embed of my radio appearance in case you weren’t able to tune in live or, perhaps, because you’re a sick puppy and have fallen in love with my voice and need to hear it again at all costs. Note: We did not run out of music to play, so if you were hoping to hear me sing David Bowie tunes, you’re going to be massively disappointed. Perhaps next time.
The playlist is posted above.
Enjoy! And seriously, thanks for listening. I really hope you find some cool new music.