Dec 24 2015
On the Air: Show recap
So, this most recent Tuesday night (12/22/2015), I returned as a guest tonight on the Louisville-based ARTxFM show Mingle, hosted by Kevin Coultas. The show runs from 6-8pm (EST) on WXOX 97.1 FM. I featured some of my favorite music from 2015, as well as some new releases that hit (are hitting) the shelves just as the year winds to a close. Below, you’ll find the embedded audio from the show, so if you missed it live, you can check it out now.
My on-air disposition isn’t anything that could be described as graceful. I stumble over my words, I lose my train of thought, and I completely blank out any and all information about the artists and albums I selected to feature. I think I get so fixated on being sure not to drop an F-bomb live on air that everything else suffers as a result. As I’ve mentioned in similar posts, it’s a crazy hyper-awareness that comes from being on the air, and I haven’t yet acclimated to it sufficiently. And this time around, I forgot to bring some basic notes on the recordings I featured, so that in itself led to some verbal potholes.
But I have to admit, it’s fun being on the air, and I figure one of these days, my process for preparing and appearing on these shows will lock into place, and I’ll display some traits that somewhat resemble coherency and, y’know, remembering stuff.
So, here’s the audio from the show, followed by the playlist and a link to a post on my site (if applicable) where you can read more about each of the albums featured on this show.
And, remember, if you’re playing the custom ARTxFM Mingle drinking game… each time I mispronounce a musician’s name, you take a shot. Double it if I also misidentify the correct album title, song title, geographical location or album theme. If I forget either Kevin’s or my own name, then it’s three shots. Same if Kevin forgets my name, too.
And here’s the tracklist. Each artist name links to a post to read more about the music on this site (links below will open a new browser tab so that you can continue listening to the radio show on your current one):
- Valia Calda – “Epicuris Suite”
- Chris Lightcap – “Down East”
- Tom Csatari – “Trauma Dogs”
- Tom Csatari – “Yams” (see #3)
- Aaron Irwin Quartet – “Trilobites”
- Ghost Rhythms – “Tree Ashes”
- Whirlpool w/Ron Miles – “Remedies” (write-up scheduled for Jan. 2016)
- Underpool Collective – “Praia de Morere”
- Carlos Falanga – “Tilos”
- Underpool Collective – “Balada para Sr. Gato”
- Giovanni Francesca – “Gocce”
- Robert Stillman – “Ruthie in May” (write-up scheduled for Jan. 2016)
- Romain Collin – “Clockwork”
- Juli Wood Quartet – “Lapin Aidin Kehto Laulu”
- Greg Foat Group – “Door Into Summer”
- Andy Clausen – “High Tide” (write-up scheduled for Jan. 2016)
- Scott Jeppesen – “Hanging Gardens (of Babylon)” (write-up scheduled for Jan. 2016)
- John Hebert – “September Song”
- Cowboys & Frenchmen – “Man of Constant Sorrow” (write-up scheduled for Jan. 2016)
And here’s a link to the audio archive of the show, where you can listen to previous guest appearances or, mercifully, those shows where Kevin takes the reins solo.
December 24, 2015 @ 2:57 pm
You are doing great!!
Merry christmas Dave and i hope to hear from you in 2016
A christmas hug
December 24, 2015 @ 5:42 pm
Merry Christmas Dave, such a great job you do !
December 24, 2015 @ 8:41 pm
Merry christmas to you, too, Marcia and Xavier!
I hope 2015 wraps up nicely for you both and that 2016 gets off to a great start.